Subject: Re: Building gcc-2.5.8
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Guenther Grau <s_grau@ira.uka.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1994 16:16:47
>   What about incorporating a more up-to-date gcc than gcc-2.4.5 into
>   the source tree?
>
>Is there something *wrong* with the one currently in the tree?  It seems
>to work just fine for everything I've built.

Not exactly *wrong*, but I don't think the gcc-maintainer haven't changed
anything in the following versions, but the version numbers, or do you? Maybe
you should have a look at the changelog to see what has changed. To give you an
example which might not bother you that much, but which bothers me alot, is
that gcc-2.4.5 produces one of the worst m68k-codes ever. This changed in the
later versions an assembly code of gcc-2.5.8 is quite good again. I am sure
there are other reasons, even for you, to have gcc updated. What is important
to me is that we incorporate the changes necessary back into the
gcc-mainstream, so future ports will be easier. This would also allow the
individual user to choose when to update and not depending on the src in the
NetBSD-tree.

>Updating for the sake of updating is silly; it leads to more bugs and
>more of our time wasted.

Agreed!!!

  Guenther