Subject: Re: Kermit and RTS/CTS flow control
To: None <Mike.Long@analog.com>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1994 11:25:46
> check the status of your modem device (e.g. stty -af /dev/tty00)
> see the -crtscts in the listing, and say AAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!
>
> (Scott, does this problem exist under FreeBSD as well?  Let me know.)
>
> In order to get RTS/CTS flow control to work, you must compile Kermit
> with (NetBSD example):
>
> make bsd44c KFLAGS=-DPOSIX_CRTSCTS
>
> Versions of C-Kermit 5A(190) dated after April 10 (ALPHA.02) have all
> of the patches I sent out earlier on these lists incorporated (UUCP
> lockfiles, &c.).  I plan to try to get a patch for this problem
> incorporated as well.

Hmmm, I'll have to try this.  I have patched the Apr 28th kermit (which
hasn't changed since then) to use seteuid()/setegid() correctly.

I also fixed up ckuuid.c to include this testing.

I added a SETEUID define, (which implies SAVEDUIDS since it needs those to
work).  With these fixes ckuuid.c passes it's tests and says it's safe.
(You have to switch the setreXid() calls to seteXid() in the priv_on()  and
priv_off() stuff and use setXid() for cancel_priv()).

I've still got some other issues:

It doesn't seem to be using its privleges to open the tty port, which seems
to be the whole point of a setuid kermit.  Also, "set modem ..." doesn't seem to
get it to force NOBLOCK on the open of the tty device (the code seems to
assume that this only matters for SysVen...blech).

Once I've got the set line stuff working, I'll submit the seteuid() patches.

-Mark