Subject: Kermit and RTS/CTS flow control
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1994 01:24:08
I just discovered the reason why I couldn't upload files from NetBSD
with C-Kermit 5A(190).  It turns out that Kermit was lying to me when
it claimed it was using RTS/CTS flow control, and I was overrunning
the link.  In order to confirm the lie:

start up Kermit
SET LINE to your modem device (e.g. /dev/tty00)
SET FLOW RTS/CTS
CONNECT
^\Z
check the status of your modem device (e.g. stty -af /dev/tty00)
see the -crtscts in the listing, and say AAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!

(Scott, does this problem exist under FreeBSD as well?  Let me know.)

In order to get RTS/CTS flow control to work, you must compile Kermit
with (NetBSD example):

make bsd44c KFLAGS=-DPOSIX_CRTSCTS

Versions of C-Kermit 5A(190) dated after April 10 (ALPHA.02) have all
of the patches I sent out earlier on these lists incorporated (UUCP
lockfiles, &c.).  I plan to try to get a patch for this problem
incorporated as well.

The only other changes I find necessary to get Kermit to compile on my
NetBSD system these days are to change the setuid() and setgid() calls
in ckutio.c to seteuid() and setegid(), respectively.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer