Subject: Re: Dumb SLIP question.
To: None <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/1994 11:00:08
> > What is the "COM_BIDIR" patch and what is it supposed to do/correct?
>
> It isn't necessary any more, since "ttyflags -a" now sets up all
> ttys mentioned in /etc/ttys to the mode you want them in, my modem line
> looks like this:
>
> > # modem under control of mgetty:
> > tty01 "/usr/libexec/mgetty tty01"	vt100  on local rtscts

I disagree.

The ttyflags solves one of the two problems that the COM_BIDIR patch solves.

What it doesn't solve is easy support of bidirectional use of the modem
with either the "standard OS utilities (getty)" or any other packages
(like flexfax).

Without the automatic lockout that the cua like devices offers, you have
to do ugly stuff like:

	switch /etc/ttys
	HUP init
	dial out
	finish
	switch /etc/ttys
	HUP init

Yeah this works, but there is plenty of room for failure.  With a cua device
you get easy and automatic cleanup.

-Mark