Subject: Re: Various questions about current.
To: None <gregc@edi.com>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1994 13:27:23
>	My question is: do the 4/6 sources I have now, have enough of this new
> stuff in for the changover, or am I going to be in trouble soon as with
> respect to new code updates?

I strongly recommend starting from the 4/17 binary snapshot, that's what
I've been done.  The only thing from the 4/17 snapshot that's out of date
to build things is some includes and config, both of which are easily
dealt with.  I went from March 15th sources to the 4/17 snapshot without
problems (other than needing to keep old libc/libg++/libcurses/etc around
until I get things rebuilt).  BTW...I'm looking forward to updated
XFree86 snapshot.

I'm most of the way through successfully buiding the 4/28 sup using
the 4/17(ish) binary snapshot.

I did:

(install binary snapshot - just untar)
(get src tree on disk, cd to /usr/src)
cd /usr/src/share/mk
(tweak make includes for where my src and obj dirs are and add -m486
 to CFLAGS)
make install
rm -rf include
cd /usr/src/include
make install
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
make install	# 4/28 tree needs new config from 4/17, swapnetbsd.c is chgd
# make isn't changed, so skip that
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
(edit config file, add -m486 to Makefile.i386 since kernel makefile doesn't
use normal CFLAGS-libkern does, so nothing needed there, etc)
config <mykernel>
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/<mykernel>
make depend
make
cp netbsd /netbsd.new
(boot new kernel, verify all is good)
cd /usr/src/lib/libm
(edit makefile to get inline 387/486 code)
cd /usr/src/lib
setenv NOPROFILE (I think that's the name)
setenv NOMAN # these two just to get libs to build faster before I go to work)
make depend
make
make install
cd /usr/src
unsetenv NOPROFILE
unsetenv NOMAN
make depend
make
rm -rf /usr/share
make install
(Do a find to look for old binaries)

I always blow away /usr/share and /usr/include before installing because
these installs keep the original dates of the files from source trees so
it's hard to tell what's changed or been missed.

The binary and lib directories I don't worry about this because the
object code always has the new date (and it's hard to make install
/usr/bin and /usr/lib by blowing it away first and loosing install,
libc.so.XXX, etc).

Also, BTW...I ran into the XFree86 /dev/mem bit, except my X locks up when
the sleep to /dev/mem exits, so I do sleep <bazillion> ;-) and kill it
when I exit.  It would be nice if whomever does the next XFree86 build
(Matthieu?) could incorperate a fix into the X server itself...I'd do it
but it'll be about two weeks until I can get to it (I've got other projects
sucking my disk space until then).

-Mark