Subject: Re: Floating Point and 486's
To: David B. Wollner <dwollner@popmail.ucsd.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/28/1994 13:28:52
>I am trying to port a postscript interpreter to NetBSD-current (iastate
>binaries as of a couple of days ago).  I'm hitting an interesting bug where
>a float parameter I sent to the subroutine changes it's value dramatically
>within the subroutine.  A copy of my test program is appended below.  If
>anyone has any information, I would appreciate it!
>
>        - dbw

I don't know if this is any help, but I just ran it on my machine
which has a Cyrix 486DLC CPU and Cyrix 83D87 FPU, and it gave me no
problems (either unoptimized or optimized):

[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> cc -o chkp chkp.c -lm
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> dir chkp
-rwxrwxr-x  1 michaelv  michaelv  14002 Apr 28 13:24 chkp*
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> chkp
Exit 32
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc>

[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> cc -O6 -o chkp chkp.c -lm
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> dir chkp
-rwxrwxr-x  1 michaelv  michaelv  14002 Apr 28 13:25 chkp*
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> chkp
Exit 32
[michaelv@MindBender]~/misc> chkp

These are with libraries/binaries built from supped sources (not the
provided ones), and with the libm Makefile modified to build 387
native code (see that Makefile if you wonder what I'm talking about).

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.