Subject: Re: why signal 11 on large builds?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: David Bryan Burgess <burgessd@cwis.unomaha.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1994 13:19:52

> Has anyone come up with a reason why cc tools get a signal 11
> occasionally while building large things?  (Like a kernel, or a make
> in the libraries.):
>
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
> 	-or-
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>
> This *never* happened to me that I can remember when I had a 386 CPU.

It happened to me from time to time before I cleaned the contacts on my
SIMMs.  I was having trouble with the POST not finding half of my memory
from time to time, and other weirdnesses.  Now that my SIMMs are clean
(and the slow ones are in the front half of memory) I don't have near
the trouble.

> Now that I have installed a Cyrix 486DLC CPU, I tend to see this a bit
> more frequently than I like.  I know of at least one other person who
> gets these too.  He's running an AMD 486 CPU.  Anyone running a true
> Intel CPU seeing these at all?  Does anyone have a clue where to start
> looking?

Mike, would you mind dropping me a line about where you got your DLC.  I'd
like to upgrade.

TSgt Dave, Midwestern NetBSD Users Consortium (all four of us :-)