Subject: Re: why signal 11 on large builds?
To: None <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1994 10:58:32
> Has anyone come up with a reason why cc tools get a signal 11
> occasionally while building large things?  (Like a kernel, or a make
> in the libraries.):
>
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
> 	-or-
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>
> This *never* happened to me that I can remember when I had a 386 CPU.
> Now that I have installed a Cyrix 486DLC CPU, I tend to see this a bit
> more frequently than I like.  I know of at least one other person who
> gets these too.  He's running an AMD 486 CPU.  Anyone running a true
> Intel CPU seeing these at all?  Does anyone have a clue where to start
> looking?
>
> 				--Michael

Hmmm.  I've seen this occasionally with a 486DLC and external cache.
It's extremely non-deterministic so I've got no reliable trend on
if turning off the external cache helps.

An immediate re-run of make et. al. is always successful.  I'm not running
out of VM, although my physical memory is pounded pretty hard (8M with X
running).

I haven't gotten a chance to look at a core yet, I'll try.

-Mark