Subject: Re: generic kernels and WD80x3 cards
To: Martin Husemann <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
From: Dave Nelson <dcn@ignatz.acs.depaul.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1994 06:22:06
> > ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 0
> > ie0: can't map 3C507 RAM in high memory
> [...]
> > I hope the ie driver doesn't fidle with my hardware to do some *bad
> > things* (TM), I already lost my ethernet controller...
>
> Now I'm wondering if I'm paranoid. I had an WD8013EPC in my machine and
> since I booted a generic kernel it's dead (the Ethernet card, not the kernel
> 8-) ) (meaning neither NetBSD nor packet drivers are recognizing it and ODI
> is comlaining about not getting interrupts from this board anymore. Just a
> coincidence? Seems that the generic kernels are eating hardware for
> breakfast...

	Just a "me too" here.

	I had exactly the same thing happen to me as well, when I
upgraded to -current recently.  The kernel can't find the board nor
can ezsetup.  I didn't have much time to fiddle with it, so I just
brought a new one and shelved the old one.  The new one works fine,
but I only have ed configed into the kernel now.

/dcn