Subject: Re: Broken 8-bit mode in recent -current?
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de>
From: Robert L. Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1994 00:46:49
> > I used to have a couple patches that would make the NetBSD-current dialups
> > work at N-8-1 really well, one was to /usr/include/sys/ttydefaults.h that
> > specified the default as CS8 -PARENB, and the other was to getty to not
> > switch back to 7-E-1 before exec'ing login.  This used to work a couple
> > weeks ago, but after upgrading to -current as of Apr 18, it doesn't seem
> > to work anymore.. Was anything along those lines changed?
> Yes, you have to use May 2 getty.
> Noone seems to be working on that one, though.

I fixed the problem...

Solution:  A very *VERY* gross hack to /sys/arch/i386/isa/com.c which
physically eliminates the possibility of ANY program EVERY switching the
communications ports into ANYTHING but N-8-1...  It totally goes against
my computer programming code of ethics, but fits right into my hackers
bible.. ;)  Hell, it worx!