Subject: Re: problem on resolver
To: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/21/1994 22:52:30
> > I found the current resolver doesn't recursively lookup if the appended
> > domain name doesn't exist.
>
> The resolv.conf(5) manual page explains the `search' keyword.  This
> newish change to the resolver is according to the RFC's -- it is
> intended to reduce DNS traffic.

The man page also says:

> The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by
> default, it begins with the local domain name, then successive parent
> domains that have at least two components in their names.

This is not what is currently does as far as I can tell.  My domain is
"cis.brown.edu", but my default search path does not seem to include
"brown.edu".  I have to add that in manually to get it to work.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science