Subject: tape drives
To: None <burgessd@cwis.unomaha.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1994 21:13:52
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 21:02:17 -0500 (CDT)
> From: David Bryan Burgess <burgessd@cwis.unomaha.edu>
>
> > Greetings!
> >    When last I checked, the FAQ didn't indicate any support for
> > tape drives which hang on the floppy disk controller (or printer
> > ports). Has anyone built such a device driver?
> >    thx, 1138
>
> As of the last I heard, there wasn't support for such a beast in the NetBSD
> kernel.  Nate Williams says that the code in fdc.c on FreeBSD 1.1 has
> been majorly re-written to do this.

I think a good step in that direction would be to split out the generic
floppy disk controller part of fd.c into, say fdc.c and work on making
that shareable by a new floppy tape driver. (ft.c?)  The main issue is
serializing access to the FDC chip, as it can only work on one thing
at a time (no simulatneous disk/tape transfers).

-but sorry, I'm only offering ideas, not time at this point...

Gordon Ross