Subject: Re: Can't boot into multi-user mode!
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: D. Jay Newman <dn5@psu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1994 12:09:50
> I'm having a bit of an emergency here.

> I recompiled most everything yesterday, and all was fine.  I could boot
> and run and everything.  This includes the kernel.

> Today I supped, and recompiled everything that had changed (except for
> the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, I haven't gotten around to them yet).  I
> did *not* recompile the kernel today.
> I then rebooted.
> Then it dumps me into single-user mode, with only the root file system
> mounted (in read-only mode, yet).

I fixed the problem by recompiling init and reboot from src/sbin.  It looks
like there is a different version of reboot that is made when the sys
directory is made and installed over the other version.  Once I remade the
ones in src/sbin and rebooted all was fine with my system.

Why is there two versions of reboot?

()()()()()()()()()()()()() CBEL--Teaching & Learning Technologies ()()()
D. Jay Newman        !  We were all born to live with magic, the
dn5@psu.edu          !  entire human race.  We're never more than
                     !  half-alive without it.  -- Fred Saberhagen