Subject: Diskless Booting NetBSD/i386 ?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/1994 07:44:22
Well, now I've been to the shops, got myself a new VLB IDE/SVGA/IO card
and an SMC Ultra... sorry Theo, they were out of stock of the 509, and
the SMC was cheaper :)

On impulse I also bought a multi-protocol boot prom for the ethernet
card, with a plan ! My small system has a small (114) hard disk,
so I am putting (gasp) DOS and Windoze on the harddrive, and then
I wopuld like to boot NetBSD remotely. (BTW it supports bootp/tftp).

I know the FreeBSD people have this, so how difficult would it be
to DTRT with NetBSD ? I mean I would not want to start hardwiring
IP addresses etc into a kernel, to I would prefer a "correct"
solution, which I am quite happy to try building if no one else
has the time or energy...

So, suggestions please, and then I'm off to hack :)

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy                                 work: peter@demon.co.uk
Wonderland                                    rest: peter@wonderland.org