Subject: Re: your mail
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Havard Eidnes <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/1994 17:39:43
> mycroft writes:
> >   [...], if I telnet into my machine via term it shows my machine's
> >   name as just an IP number, [...]
> >
> >This was a design decision in the new telnetd.  If the host name is longer
> >than ut_host, the IP address is used instead.
> But almost all my hosts will be from one of two places, with a handful
> of hosts.  In cases like mine, I'd really prefer for it to show the
> first UT_HOSTSIZE characters of the hostname instead of the IP#.

What is "it" in "it to show"?  The "who" program, perhaps?  An option in
that case would be to install a fix in the "who" program (or any similar
program displaying the /etc/utmp contents).  That way no information is
lost in any case (well, unless someone tampers with your /etc/utmp file :-).

- Havard