Subject: Unexpected IRQ 1 interrupt.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: David Bryan Burgess <burgessd@cwis.unomaha.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/1994 18:05:14
I haven't really had a chance to start looking at this myself, but I was
wondering if anyone else had this happen:

1.  I am working from the console.  I am typing along, and run the new 'vi'
program.  When the screen clears, I get three 'unexpected interrupt 1'
errors in a row.  Once I have received them, absolutely nothing WRT
the keyboard will work anymore.  The lights are off, the keys don't even
click anymore.

2.  My system has actually been doing this since I started with NetBSD.
It is just that now I see a message that tells me that I am basically
hosed. :-(

I am running a 386DX-40 with 8Meg and an IDE controller.  I changed
the 'keymatic' keypress speed from 15 characters a second to 12.  It
seemed to help for a while...

The problem is NOT reproducible in any kind of reliable way, except
for a short Murphy syndrome (I was editting a file that a cronjob
would need in about 2 minutes.   Lock and reboot.)  Note that it
doesn't kill the machine or anything.  I can still log in from the
VT-100 (when I remember to enable it) and do anything (until it
locks up).

I am open to suggestions (except 'buy a new computer' or 'you should try
FreeBSD' :-)  Not that I actually have anything AGAINST FreeBSD mind you.
Standard disclaimer applies.