Subject: Re: time for port-ppc?
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1994 10:38:42
I feel compelled to comment on the rash of requests for a port-ppc
mailing list to discuss a NetBSD/PowerPC port.  Ports are done by
people who have the hardware resources, the drive, a touch of sadism,
and the time.  Mailing lists don't make a port happen, people with the
above properties do.  You may also notice that  most of the NetBSD
ports were done by individuals, or pairs.

Lets say such a mailing list existed.  What would you discuss there?
Which of the two platforms?  (one cheap and undocumented, one
expensive and documented).  People could work on a virtual port, in
absence of actual hardware.  What I'm trying to say is that until
people have the actual hardware, and have acquired documentation, what
is the point?  Even then, unless there are multiple porters, a mailing
list isn't necessary until much later.  I speak from experience, as
the sun3 port should never have been publicized as early as it was
because it brought in people who did little actual work, and just sat
around disappointed.

I'm not saying don't do this port.  I know of multiple people looking
into it, but until things are further along making a mailing list is
like moving comp.sys.powerpc onto lamp for no benefit.

just my thoughts,
Adam Glass
NetBSD