Subject: Re: make problem - march 27 sources
To: None <hm@hcshh.hcs.de>
From: Kim Andersen <kim@dde.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/1994 22:58:42

> >From the keyboard of Mark_Weaver@brown.edu:
> >
> > Oops.  Yeah, I guess you have to swap 2 and 3.  But DEFINITELY build
> > the compiler tools and config before installing the includes.

> Sorry bothering you all, but:
>
> Could someone who really did it mail me the REAL LIST (tm) ?
>
> Also what belongs into the list of compiler tools ? (gcc, as, ld, ranlib, ? )

I'm dont have The REAL LIST, but here's my story anyway:

Mar27: make new config/kernel, runs fine etc. Make local snapshot, with shared
       libs. Everything works fine, no major breakdowns, no crashes.

Mar28-Apr4: make build. Major disaster :-(
	struggle with the ar/ranlib/ld things.
	Finally on Apr04, carefully did this: (everything made -static)
	cd /usr/src/lib;make
	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/libgcc;make
	cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ar;make
	Trick ld into using crt0.o, libc.a, libgcc from the obj directories.
	cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ranlib;make
	Trick again
	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld;make
	Trick again.
	Then make install in ar/ld/ranlib.
	Back to src/lib. Remove archives, make and make install.

Mar29/Mar30/Mar31/Apr01/Apr04/Apr05: make kernel, compiles/runs ok.

My system now runs a freshly made static world. The few things I have tried
until now works. I'm using a previusly built XFree-2.1.

The dates mentioned is sup-dates and not (allways) calendar days.
Updateing my tree using the sup-lists and ftp sometimes has it problems
because of the load/limit on sun-lamp.

Philosophical note: How do you get a large uptime, when using the
latest/greatest ?
I't seems to be THE measurement of a quality for some people.

regards
kim