Subject: Re: ar,ranlib,ld
To: None <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de, current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1994 10:13:22
>It looks like I've been caught by the ld,ar,ranlib problem too.
>I've backed up some _old_ ones, and can now recompile a kernel,
>with them, but any programs I compile either produce no output
>or have a segmentation fault. (i.e. some lib problem) but if I
>recompile ar, ld, or ranlib then the files produce produce no
>output either.

sounds like your libraries and/or ld.so is screwed up.

you might try getting new ones, unlinking the old ones (i.e. rm),
and cp'ing the new ones into place.  i had a similar problem,
and this fixed it.

'tar' doesn't unlink before it writes a new file -- it just truncates.
that can cause problems with shlibs...

chris