Subject: Off_t changes affect shared libs??
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rkb55989@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1994 18:26:53
	I've finally got a working ld/ranlib/ar set, or so it seems [I have
	rebuilt stuff, and it has worked...].  Now my question is: Do the
	changes in off_t et al affect shared library workings??

	My problem is this:
		I tried rebuilding xarchie last night, and it died horribly.
		I did [and on tape still do] have a working xarchie from the
		SAME source, linked against the same X libs [but the working
		version was linked against the pre-"off_t" system libs, by the
		pre-"off_t" linker].

	What heppen[s/ed]:
		The program seems to die before all fixups are made, since I
		see nothing but the SIGSEGV.. And gdb claims there are no
		parent stack frames...

		Direct from my other window:

[6:19pm] [rafal] rafal: ./xarchie
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[6:19pm] [rafal] rafal: gdb ./xarchie
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/src/xarchie-2.0.1/./xarchie

Program received signal SIGSEGV (11), Segmentation fault
0x0 in ?? ()
(gdb)

	Other data points:
		Other stuff that I have that is still linking against old [ie,
		pre off_t] libs works, but then again it was built using the
		old [pre off_t] linker.

	My conclusions:
		New linker doesn't like linking binaries that use shared libs
		built by the old [pre off_t] linker.. [Or more accurately, new
		ld.so does not like running binaries that use the old libs].

						Comments, flames??
							--rafal

|"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit   |              Rafal Boni |
| 15% of the earth, which is 100% more than they |         r-boni@uiuc.edu |
| have now..." -Cartoon caption in New Yorker    | My opinions, not UIUC's |