Subject: Some findings while fighting to get auis-6.2 to compile and work
To: netbsd-current-users <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Thomas Eberhardt <thomas@mathematik.uni-Bremen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/02/1994 01:25:30
I'm currently having a hard time to get auis-6.2 (a.k.a Andrew Toolkit)
to compile and work.

Following are some bugs/features that I've found in NetBSD tools:

1. csh seems to have some trouble with its lexical scanner.  It sometimes
   gets characters from a script that aren't there.  tcsh doesn't have
   this problems so I currently have set up a sym-link from /bin/csh to
   tcsh.  The problems manifest in things like that csh sees a "endsw" as
   "etnvdsw".  This occurence of this problems seem to be very sensible to
   things like the length of the csh argument list and the environment.

2. make doesn't pass empty arguments (.i.e "") to shell commands.  This
   forces me to use GNU make.

3. dlopen is missing a strdup to make a copy of the dynamic object path:

*** rtld.c-	Sat Apr  2 01:08:49 1994
--- rtld.c	Sat Apr  2 01:08:52 1994
***************
*** 1129,1135 ****
  		return NULL;
  	}

! 	sodp->sod_name = (long)name;
  	sodp->sod_library = 0;
  	sodp->sod_major = sodp->sod_minor = 0;

--- 1129,1135 ----
  		return NULL;
  	}

! 	sodp->sod_name = (long)strdup(name);

--
/  Thomas Eberhardt <thomas@mathematik.uni-Bremen.de>  \            Moo!  (__)
| Center for Complex Systems and Visualization (CeVis) |_________/--------(oo)
|     University of Bremen, FB 3, Bibliothekstr. 1     |        * |______||\/
\_o_ D-28359 Bremen, Germany, FAX: +49 421 218-4236 _o_/          ^^     ^^