Subject: Re: ip filtering
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Steven Reiz <sreiz@aie.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1994 13:03:17
>>>>> "Danny" == Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au> writes:

Danny> on a philosophical note and without any comparisons of the
Danny> packages, I'd much rather run DrawBridge on a dedicated PC
Danny> attached to the fibre coming into my building. Impact of high
Danny> traffic filtering/routing on the UNIX might be of concern to
Danny> *some* sites, but I'd rather do the filtering before it can get
Danny> to my machine(s). I guess host-based filtering is most
Danny> appropriate for single-host sites, eg homes, where the cost of
Danny> a separate but basic 386 is hard to justify.

Well, I intended to use a dedicated PC for filtering anyway. Running
either NetBSD or Drawbridge on it doesn't make much of a difference, as
long as it's at least a 386 with a 40 MB harddisk.

I have looked at Drawbridge, as well as another package called K(arl)bridge,
both support just two ethernet segments. I'd like to connect at least three
ethernet segments and a SLIP link. BTW, I've heard that the commercial
version of Karlbridge might support such a configuration.

	-Steven