Subject: PIC libraries?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1994 09:26:25
I have noticed that in most cases when creating a set of libraries, a
lib*.a, lib*_pic.a, and lib*_so.a* are created.  I know that the _pic
library is created in order to build the shared library.  Why is the
non-PIC library created?  Can't the PIC library be used for static
linking?  Is there a size or performance penalty?

I'm trying to update the amiga X11 libs, and creating both position
independent and position dependent object files libraries takes up an
awful lot of space.  What problems would the creation of a regular
library out of PIC files cause?

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid