Subject: if_ep not working...?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1994 21:58:50
I've been trying to load NetBSD (Feb12 -current) on a 386 with a 3c509
card.  I built a kernel that was a copy of my config here but
replacing ed0 with ep0:

device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr

After updating the boot blocks etc on the NetBSD-0.9 install
diskettes, I have the machine booting the above kernel off its hard
disk.  All I need to do now is load some archives of this system via
ftp and unpack them.  Couldn't be simpler...

Trouble is, while the kernel finds and appears to attatch the
ethernet card ok - reports the ethernet address etc, and can be
ifconfig'd ok, I cannot seem to get it to work.

I know that the LAN is fine as the PC was running DrOS over it just
prior to loading NetBSD.  I replaced ifconfig with the current one
(from this system) and added netstat and ping so I could see what is
going on.

Attempts to ping another host get no reply, but nestat -ina shows the
Ipkts and Opkts counts going up. After  attempts to ping the 386 from
other machines netstat shows no packets having been received.

The card is using UTP, and reading if_ep.c suggests that

	ifconfig ep0 hostname link0 link1

should have ensured it was using the UTP.  I get no ep0 timeout
messages so it appears to be catching interrupts ok...

I even downloaded the latest if_ep* and elink* and built a kernel with
those - same result.

If it weren't for the fact that the LAN and card were known to be
working (the cables etc are still ok as they can be plugged into
another DrOS system and work fine), I'd swear it was a cable
problem...  but it has to be NetBSD no?

Is there something I'm missing?

--sjg

[Oh, and having spotted new scsi drivers going into the tree (Thanks
_heaps_ Charles!) I plan to update again RSN...]