Subject: Re: make problem - march 27 sources
To: None <tmc@netcom.com>
From: Randy Terbush <sierra!randy>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1994 07:14:00
Tom Crockett writes:
 > Well, in spite of carefully reading Chris's warnings re: the new sources
 > (beginning March 27) I managed to wrongly interpret what he meant by:
 >
 > >To: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
 > >Subject: more things that you need to do...
 > >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 17:53:05 -0800
 > >
 > >before building and installing new libraries (and binaries compiled
 > >from them), be *sure* to install a new kernel...
 > >chris

I interpreted this to mean *first*, build and install a new kernel.  I
did, and it worked fine.

 > >From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
 > >To: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu
 > >cc: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>,
 > >        current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
 > >Subject: Re: various stuff -- current sources, sun-lamp, changes...
 > >Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 19:27:24 -0800
 > >
 > >>  2. Build/install/boot kernel
 > >>  3. Install share/mk and includes
 > >>  1. Build/install compiler tools and config
(including make)
 > >>  4. Build/install libraries
 > >>  5. Build/install everything else
 > >>
 > >> Correct?  If so, feel free to forward this to the list.
 > >
 > >That should be mostly correct.
 > >
 > >there shouldn't be any changes that require you to rebuild the
 > >compiler tools, as long as your previous -current was relatively
 > >current...
 > >chris

I changed the above order to the order I have been doing it, with the
exception of building the kernel first which Chris suggested.  I am at
the stage of building everything, and despite the fact that it has
been compiling *all* night, it is still compiling.
(make World in X11 also)

 > I think that what was meant was be sure to build and install a
 > kernel using the newly installed include and mk files.  *BUT* do
 > this before building anything else like the libs, binaries, and
 > so on...

As far as I can tell, the kernel build does not touch anything outside
of the /usr/src/sys tree.

 > Otherwise programs like make will simply segmentation fault all
 > over your screen when you try to build anything.  This is not a
 > good thing and is where I find myself now.
 > My system was current at March 26.  The only only binaries and libs
 > I can find (sun-lamp & iastate) are from March 5 and don't like the
 > later stuff.  Suggestions?

Grab some binaries....