Subject: Re: 0.9 to current libc build problem
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dave Nelson <dcn@ignatz.acs.depaul.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1994 06:22:30

> > I'm trying to upgrade my stock 0.9 system to -current as of today.  I've be
en
> > following the instructions for upgrading that have been posted here in the
>
> What all did you do.....??
>
> make install new ld ?
> make install new gas ?

cd /usr; rm -rf src
untarred current src into /usr/src
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; added MACHINE_ARCH=i386 to cflags
	make && make install;  remove MACHINE_ARCH from cflags; make clean
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
configed GENERICAHA kernel; make depend; make; installed; rebooted
export LDSTATIC=-static;export NOPIC=; export NOPROFILE=
cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2; make && make install; make clean

	It was while trying to link gcc that I ran into my first
problem.  I think the ld was complaining about __.SYMDEF.  I had saved a
copy of my old ld (0.9), so I put that back.  gcc build without a
complaint.  Thinking that perhaps I should have built a new ld after
gcc, I switched lds back and continued:

unset LDSTATIC; unset NOPIC, unset NOPROFILE
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ar; make && make install; make clean
cd /usr/src/lib; make   (and this is where things fell apart:  can't make
	shared libraries with the old ranlib; building a new ranlib results
	in a ranlib that can't build anything (barfs on a signal 11).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have.  I'm sure that
I've done something totally boneheaded.

/dcn

Dave Nelson
Information & Application Support