Subject: 0.9 to current libc build problem
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Dave Nelson <dcn@ignatz.acs.depaul.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1994 02:42:01
I'm trying to upgrade my stock 0.9 system to -current as of today.  I've been
following the instructions for upgrading that have been posted here in the
past and I've managed to get a current kernel booted and running.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get /usr/src/lib built now.  Basically, at
this point I have unset NOPIC, LDSTATIC, and NOPROFILE.  The first attempt
at this resulted in ld barfing while trying to build the shared version of
a library:

ranlib libc_pic.a
building shared c library (version 6.0)
ld -Bshareable -Bforcearchive  -o libc.so.6.0 libc_pic.a
ld: malformatted __.SYMDEF in libc_pic.a
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

I traced the __.SYMDEF stuff to ranlib, so I figured that the best thing to
do would be to rebuild ranlib.  But, now I get:

ranlib libc_pic.a
*** Signal 11

Stop.

Now I'm stuck.  I can't build shared libraries with the 0.9 ranlib, and I
can't build shared libraries with the new ranlib.  Actually, I can't build
any libraries with the new ranlib.

Can anyone toss me a suggestion on what I might want to do next?  I think
if I could get the libraries built, I'd be almost home free.  I'm sure I'm
doing something stupid.

/dcn