Subject: Re: Snapshot Report - 27 March tar_files
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/1994 06:44:18
> 3.  I've seen lots of stuff about timezone's being a bit dodgy,
> especially with most European timezones changing over to DST on the
> 27th March.  I must say that that was NOT the case for me - pumpy is
> running off the /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB-Eire timezone file,
> (symbolically) linked to /etc/localtime, the CMOS clock is running off
> GMT, and the kernel is compiled with "timezone 0".

I was quite impressed last saturday when I saw my clock switching from
2:00 to 3:00 - as at this momement dst started in germany. My kernel is
from March 2, I think.

I use /usr/share/zoneinfo/MET as /etc/localtime and have the kernel configured
as

timezone        -1 dst 4

(My wife is running DOS on this machine for doom sometimes ;-)

I set this strange dst value after diging in some old ultrix(?) man pages.
There were several dst-changing-method listed and 4 was the code for the
central europe one.

I used to have a dcf77 clock because I never was able to get this right
with the comercial SVR4 I did run before...

Martin