Subject: Re: Timezones and stuff
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 09:55:42
> I can't see why. Is there a major problem with assuming the RTC in
> a machine is set to the local (default) time ?

Then you have to reset the RTC when daylight savings time toggles (and
remember not to re-reset it in the fall when you repeat a given time).
Better not crash at the wrong time, or you wind up changing it twice.

At my former employer, we solved any number of irritating problems when
we changed the OS from maintaining local time to GMT in the hardware clock.
(The installation process even asked the local timezone, and was able to fix
up the timer appropriately while installing the timezone in the boot-time
configuration file (now THERE'S a feature I'd like to resurrect).)