Subject: Snapshot Report - 27 March tar_files
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1994 05:56:32
Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 27th March 1994, from sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 19 March tar_files from
ftp.iastate.edu

Machine specifics: 486DX2/66, 16MB RAM, 340 MB IDE (Conner), VGA card

Other software: XFree86 2.1, from ftp.iastate.edu

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade:

Any warnings during compilation: various, not noted

Any problems during make: I did have a lockup from grotty when it
was making the libc/gen manual pages. Nothing else happenning on the
box at the time. My *impression* is that vm is less stable then it was,
as I've had a lot more reboots/runaway processes than I was having
on the March 12th kernel.

Observations:

Changes from 19 March tar_files:
(This is taken from the CHANGES file on sun-lamp - last update on 27 Mar 94)

        ipcrm rewritten (glass)
        fix a couple of typos in getty's headers.
                from Andras Olah <olah@cs.utwente.nl>. (cgd)
        fixes from Thomas Eberhardt to get 'swapinfo' to do the right
                thing with blocksizes. (cgd)
        convince lastcomm to use stdio rather than it's own (broken)
                buffering scheme. (cgd)
        a few routing ref-count fixes. (cgd)
        [i386] allow mmap()ing of /dev/mem and /dev/kmem, the former for
                people with buff video boards, the latter for fun. (cgd)
        mmap() defaults to MAP_FILE as apposed to failing when neither
                MAP_FILE or MAP_ANON flags are present. (chopps)
        add a 'sa' command, written by me. (cgd)
        change uid_t and gid_t to 32-bit quantities, and off_t to a 64-bit
                quantity.  Lots of associated changes. (cgd)
        __initdb() should only warn about spwd.db errors once, fix from
                <nils@merlin.ims.uni-stuttgart.de> (deraadt)
        i386: attempt to get the cursor correct on MDA/Hercules cards. If
                this still doesn't work, use FAT_CURSOR in your kernel
                config file. (deraadt)
        repair host map alias in ypmatch (deraadt)
        various sparc fixes (deraadt)
        take disklib.c out of libkern, put it back in the kernel proper (deraadt)
        fix sh/mkinit.c to not generate garbage in init.c (deraadt)
        fix hang in rcmd.c if either socket was >= 32 (deraadt)

Notes:

1.  sun-lamp must have crashed while making the tar_files on the 26th,
because I didn't get the CVS update logs for Saturday.  Mail to the
current-users mailing list, and the CHANGES file above, indicate that
there are now 64bit off_t's and 32 bit uid_t and gid_t, but that isn't
what I found in the include.tar.gz tar_file that was on sun-lamp.  But
if you're supping, remember to "make install" in /usr/src/include
before making the libraries, otherwise horrible things will happen.
Also remember to install a new kernel before before building and
installing new libraries, and binaries compiled from those libraries.
(From the CHANGES list above, I have the 'sa' command, but the off_t,
uid_t and gid_t types are all the same as the 19th March sources).
Roll on, next week.

2.  I haven't had a chance to do anything recently beyond recompiling
the world and booting a new kernel, due to visiting Germany last week
- sadly not to CeBIT.

3.  I've seen lots of stuff about timezone's being a bit dodgy,
especially with most European timezones changing over to DST on the
27th March.  I must say that that was NOT the case for me - pumpy is
running off the /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB-Eire timezone file,
(symbolically) linked to /etc/localtime, the CMOS clock is running off
GMT, and the kernel is compiled with "timezone 0".  (Note no dst,
which is what I think is the problem for some people - it's my
understanding that a dst in the timezone line of the kernel config
indicates to the kernel that the CMOS clock is set to dst - i.e.
wall-clock time, which changes when daylight savings comes into
effect, and that the kernel's understanding of dst rules is
rudimentary, which means that some people will see funnies when the
dst changes).  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.

4.  Good to see the 4.4 off_t etc making it in - I really get the
feeling that -current is growing up these days.

Tea break over - back on your heads...

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                      +44 252 346377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.