Subject: Re: your anon ftp is broken
To: None <pozar@remarque.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/1994 03:31:00
>Something is wrong with anonymous ftp on ftp.iastate.edu.  Chris passed on
>your name as a point of contact for this site.

>kksf:netbsd-current (168) :ftp ftp.iastate.edu
>Connected to net-1.iastate.edu.
>220 net-1.iastate.edu FTP server (Version 2.0WU(11) Thu Apr 15 04:40:28
>CDT 1993
>) ready.
>Name (ftp.iastate.edu:pozar): anonymous
>331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
>Password:
>550 Can't set guest privileges.
>Login failed.

We had to shut down all your servers to upgrade the firmware on the
hard drives and do general AFS maintenance from noon to midnight today
(Sunday).  DEC threw us a loop since Ultrix 4.3 has a bug that its CAM
support doesn't work with really old > 1gig drives, giving the machine
unpredictable hangs and weird memory problems, and AFS 3.3 requires
Ultrix 4.3.  Consequently, we had to pick a day to shut everything
down and upgrade drives and software -- today was that day.

Our servers have been hanging and crashing a lot lately because of
this.  DEC's solution was to buy 400meg more of RAM.  Needless to say,
we weren't real amused.

It was a scheduled outage on campus; sorry I didn't think about
telling the list about it.  Everything is back up and operational (and
hopefully much more stable again... :p ).  Sorry for the
inconvenience.

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.