Subject: Re: Com Troubles
To: Len Burns <lburns@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/21/1994 06:42:54
> I just built a kernel from sources of March 19.  Everything appears
> normal, all 4 com ports are normal on boot and getty is behaving
> normally.  The problem is that neither tip nor kermit seem able to
> access any of the com ports.  Any ideas as to what I have messed up?

You haven't necessarily messed anything up.  The com ports have been changed
to have a more stable getty.  What you need to do when using tip or kermit
is the following, tacky, but working commands:

sleep 3000 < /dev/tty?? &
stty -f /dev/tty?? clocal
tip com??

and hope you connect to another system before the sleep times out.  Or,
actually, it shouldn't matter, should it?  Since the tip will be holding
the com port open with the CLOCAL still set...  Maybe.