Subject: Re: S
To: Sean McDermott <spm@staff.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1994 12:24:13

>> [michaelv@stingray]~> hexdump -c /etc/hostname
>> 0000000   s   t   i   n   g   r   a   y   .   c   c   .   i   a   s  t
>> 0000010   a   t   e   .   e   d   u  \n
>> 0000018
>
>> [michaelv@stingray *c]~> echo `hostname` | hexdump -c
>>                    ^(weird really funky non-printable PC-graphchar here)
>> 0000000   s   t   i   n   g   r   a   y 377  \v   c   .   i   a   s   t
>> 0000010   a   t   e   .   e   d   u  \n
>> 0000018
>
>> If I manually did 'hostname stingray.cc.iastate.edu' a second time, it
>> was fixed.  The first time was set by the netstart script.  It works
>> with my last kernel built about two weeks ago.
>
>Check your netstart script for a unprintable ??
>use :set list in vi does a good job at finding strange characters....
>
>--
>spm@staff.cc.purdue.edu |	Consultant At Large.

It's the same netstart script I've been using for months.  And the
same script works normally on my 3/11 kernel.  I'm going to re-sup all
the kernel sources again and see if it acts any better, because I was
still getting vm faults in addition to the hostname thing.

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.