Subject: Re: S
To: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1994 00:25:34
>I am getting this a lot...
>
>cc -p -O -DYP -DLIBC_SCCS -DSYSLIBC_SCCS -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -c /usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/system.c -o s
ystem.po
>cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 11
>*** Error code 1
>
>However, running make again ``fixes'' it.  *sigh*

I am not seeing this (haven't been able to get that far).

>I have been getting these on two machines, one at work and packrat here at home.
>
>Others have said they are getting vm_faults or something vm_ish, and I
>suspect this is related.

I have seen something vm_faultish.  The kernel I built today (from
this morning's tar files) is pretty much unusable.  Sounds like
there's still some corrupted files in the vm section. :-)

>This is with a freshly compiled kernel (current as of today), fresh gcc, ld,
>libs, and include files.

My kernel is new; my tools are a few days old.  I can't get the new
kernel to run long enough to find the other problem.

I did see something else *very* weird, though.  The new kernel also
corrupted my hostname.  I know the file it pulled it out of was
correct.  Here's what it looked like:

[michaelv@stingray]~> hexdump -c /etc/hostname
0000000   s   t   i   n   g   r   a   y   .   c   c   .   i   a   s  t
0000010   a   t   e   .   e   d   u  \n
0000018

[michaelv@stingray *c]~> echo `hostname` | hexdump -c
                   ^(weird really funky non-printable PC-graphchar here)
0000000   s   t   i   n   g   r   a   y 377  \v   c   .   i   a   s   t
0000010   a   t   e   .   e   d   u  \n
0000018

If I manually did 'hostname stingray.cc.iastate.edu' a second time, it
was fixed.  The first time was set by the netstart script.  It works
with my last kernel built about two weeks ago.

On the plus side, Charles' latest wd driver code seems to be handling
startup of my old IDE drives without nearly as much whining from the
kernel.

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.