Subject: XFree86-2.1 + shared memory + ATI GUP
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Surprenant Colin <surprenc@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1994 19:08:49
Hi,

I enabled System V shared memory in my kernel and in site.def of XFree.
I was wondering if the X server was supposed to give me any kind of
status if it recognised the shared memory support in the kernel?

Now concerning the use of aperture memory with my EISA ATI GUP,
(which is configured @ 64 MB)
XFree reports that it is using on 64K... Should I put something
in my XConfig for it to use 4MB?

At bootup XFree reports this:

(**) Mach32: Option "dac_8_bit"
(--) Mach32: card type: EISA

[...]

(**) Mach32: Virtual resolution: 1280x1024
(**) Mach32: videoram: 2048k
(--) Mach32: Using hardware cursor
checkDevMem: warning: failed to mmap /dev/mem (Invalid argument)
        linear fb access unavailable
(--) Mach32: Using 64 kb aperture
(--) Mach32: Ramdac is ATI68875/TLC34075/Bt885
(**) Mach32: Using 8 bits per RGB value

What is this mmap error? Is it related with the fact that it only uses 64k
aperture?

btw: I am using a Jan 15 current kernel.

Thanks,

| Colin Surprenant  | galaad@pubnix.qc.ca       |
| Montreal, Quebec  | surprenc@jsp.umontreal.ca |

     Real user of a Free UN!X - NetBSD.