Subject: Re: XFree86 2.1 Binaries for NetBSD-current
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1994 15:57:46
You wrote (in your message from Fri 18)

 > I'm using the new XFree86-2.1 binaries that you prepared.  I don't
 > know oif you subscribe to the current-users mailing list, but I'm
 > having two problems.  First, the binaries were built with a
 > libX11.so.4.10, which isn't supplied.  A temporary fix which (I think)
 > should work was to synlink libX11.so.4.10 to libX11.so.2.0.

Yes, I has a symbolic link for libX11.so.4.10 laying around, and it
was found by ld... Making a link fully fixes the problem. I also built
a new set of binaries without the link. available from
ftp.laas.fr:/pub/NetBSD/XFree86-2.1/XFree86-2.1-bin.tar.gz.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

 > Also, why are the libraries version 2.0?  Shouldn't they be 2.1?

Perhaps they should... Nobody in the XFree86 developpement team
thought about that before the release of 2.1.

 > The second problem is with that the X server won't start up on my
 > card.
[...]
 > Fatal server error:
 > xf86OpenConsole: CONSOLE_X_MODE_OFF failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
 > Was expecting pccons driver with X support
 > Check your kernel's console driver configuration and /dev entries

I included Hung-Chi Chu's fix in the README.NetBSD on ftp.laas.fr.

Thank you for the feed back...

					Matthieu