Subject: Re: Shared libraries and crypt
To: David Burren <davidb@eyrie.Werj.com.au>
From: Geoff Rehmet <csgr@alpha.ru.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1994 08:38:49
David Burren writes :

> Ok, as the originator of this thread ("What do you mean, it's _my_ fault?" :-)
> here's my summary of what I've seen go by so far:

I agree with the points you made:
In order to compromise libcrypt, it is first necessary to compromise
root or bin, and once either of these is compromised I can think
of far easier ways to nail a system.

Arguing that a shared libcrypt is dangerous is almost as good as
arguing that the presence of /bin/sh is a security risk: if someone
can replace /bin/sh with something of their choice, they can
do whatever they like!

If you are writing any set[ug]id software, make sure you stomp the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and make sure you don't rely on the path, those are
some of the real things to look out for.

Geoff.
--
 Geoff Rehmet, Computer Science Department,   | ____   _ o         /\
 Rhodes University,  South Africa             |___  _-\_<,        /\/\/\