Subject: Re: Shared libraries and crypt
To: None <davidb@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Randy Terbush <sierra!randy>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1994 07:57:00
dsndata!sparky!melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au!davidb writes:
 > > David Burren writes:
 > >  > Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au> has reminded me about something:
 > >  >
 > >  > Has anyone else given any thought to the pros and cons of having crypt in
 > >  > a shared library?  I'm starting to think the disadvantages outweigh the
 > >  > advantages.
 > >
 > > The advantages are that when I forget to copy crypt.c into the compile
 > > dir, I only have to compile and install libcrypt to be back in
 > > business.
 >
 > Huh?  There are only a limited number of programs in /usr/src that use crypt.
 > Some of them are statically linked already (for different reasons) so your
 > comment seems to fall flat.

Lay off the coffee.  This is a friendly discussion.

The three programs that are most likely to bite you are 'login' and
'su', and 'rlogin'.  None of them are statically linked last time I checked.

[source tree management advice deleted]

Thanks.  I am well aware of what it takes to pull this together.

I still say, "leave it shared"....