Subject: Re: NFS MOUNTS ON NETBSD-CURRENT WITH SOLARIS 2.X?
To: Scott Reynolds <scott@bart.acs.nmu.edu>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1994 11:51:53
	The solution to my problem?  I am using an nfs server with a multi-homed network
connection.  Using the patch below fixed me right up.  Funny that I didn't
think of that rather obvious twist in the scenario.
	Now, can we see about fixing the real bug?  Where should I look? /usr/src/sys/net/route.c?
-Brian
--- Forwarded mail from Tor.Egge@idt.unit.no

>From idt.unit.no!Tor.Egge Wed Mar 16 09:33:07 1994
	id JAA21962; Wed, 16 Mar 1994 09:33:38 -0800
From: Tor.Egge@idt.unit.no
  (5.65c8/IDA-1.4.4 for <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>); Wed, 16 Mar 1994 18:33:32 +0100
  (5.65c8/idt-C-2.0 for buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu); Wed, 16 Mar 1994 18:33:07 +0100
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 1994 18:33:07 +0100
To: buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu
Subject: NFS MOUNTS ON NETBSD-CURRENT WITH SOLARIS 2.X?

I've seen this type of behaviour when trying to nfs mount filesystems from a
system with multiple ip adresses. The NetBSD connects the nfs client socket to
one of the IP addresses for the server, and fails to receive answers from any
of the other IP addresses on the same server.

By adding the 'noconn' option to the mount call, the nfs client socket is not
connected, and will happily receive answers from any IP address.

I think tcpdump shows the rpc xid and not the PORT number when displaying the
answer from the file server. (That's what happend in my case. When looking at
the hex dumps of the packets, and reading the RFC describing udp, I found that
the server DID send the answer to port 1023).

You may also need the appended patch to get amd to recognize the noconn option.

- Tor Egge
-----------
*** /usr/src/usr.sbin/amd/config/os-bsd44.h.orig        Wed Jan  5 13:57:30 1994
--- /usr/src/usr.sbin/amd/config/os-bsd44.h     Tue Mar  1 13:33:35 1994
***************
*** 158,163 ****
--- 158,166 ----

  #define       MNTOPT_SOFT     "soft"          /* soft mount */
  #define       MNTOPT_INTR     "intr"          /* interrupts allowed */
+ #ifdef __NetBSD__
+ #define MNTOPT_NOCONN "noconn"        /* accept any responder */
+ #endif

  #ifndef __NetBSD__
  #define NFSMNT_HOSTNAME       0               /* hostname on 4.4 is not optional */

--- End of forwarded message from Tor.Egge@idt.unit.no