Subject: Re: NFS MOUNTS ON NETBSD-CURRENT WITH SOLARIS 2.X?
To: Herb Peyerl <Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1994 11:40:47
On Mar 16,  8:21am, Herb.Peyerl@sidney.novatel.ca (Herb Peyerl) wrote:

| : Even if it is working for some time (strangely enough it is working much
| : longer if you're using the ed driver than with the ep driver) after some
|
| hmm... strangely enough; I see the opposite behaviour. I get better results
| with ep than with ed.  For me; if_ed doesn't do NFS at all and hasn't for
| a couple of weeks.
|
| : If you're experiencing this problem you might observe a contious loss of
| : mbufs until you don't have any left...
|
| The only bandaid I've found that sort of works is to ifconfig the interface
| down, ifconfig delete, and ifconfig it back up.
|
| : Yes. Only against SunOS 5.2 and 5.3. To cure it you should consider
| : upgrading to the latest Sunos 4.x...
|
| I'm only getting it against a SunOS 4.1.x machine. (given that my other
| machine is also a NetBSD machine).

Yes, I've had hangs with the ep driver mounting from SunOS4.1.3 in the
past two weeks, but not recently [in the past 3 days].  Something got
fixed apparently.

| My NetBSD/hp300 machine doesn't have *ANY* NFS problems.
|
| It's good to see that there *is* indeed a problem and that I'm not just
| an idiot as was told to me by a certain east-coast member of the core. :-)

IMHO I really think that we should all try to tone down remarks like the
one Herb is complaining about. In the latest FreeBSD announcement a feature
of the operating system release was:

	Helpful and easy going development core team.

	[I am paraphrasing now; don't remember the exact wording]

I think that this would be an easy feature to add to NetBSD :-)

I understand that there are lots of things that are matters of religion,
but instead of trying to stonewall the poster, it might be more profitable
to argue the position.

christos