Subject: Snapshot report - 12 March tar_files
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1994 05:23:05
Snapshot report.
================

Me: agc@uts.amdahl.com (Alistair G. Crooks)

Source: tar_files, 12th March 1994, from sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

Base version of NetBSD: 0.9.

Upgrade from previous -current: yes, 05 March tar_files from
agate.berkeley.edu

Machine specifics: 486DX2/66, 16MB RAM, 340 MB IDE (Conner), VGA card

Other software: Havard Eidnes' shared XFree86 2.0, from 9 February 1994.

Tar files integrity: good.

Additional things to do during upgrade:

Any warnings during compilation: various, not noted

Any problems during make: see below.

Observations:

Changes from 5 March tar_files:
(This is taken from the CHANGES file on sun-lamp - last update on 12 Mar 94)

        fix from Arne Juul <arnej@dsl.unit.no> for bug where extra
                null chars would get appended to mailbox by mail(1). (cgd)
        fix to keep the getcap(3) routines from accessing freed memory.
                from Thomas Eberhardt <thomas@mathematik.uni-Bremen.de> (cgd)
        fix for symlink-related security hole in lpr.  From
                comp.security.unix. (cgd)
        update to latest version of rdist(1) from UCB (via uunet).  No
                new security fixes, but general cleanup. (cgd)
        MAKEDEV cleanup for hp300 and sparc (deraadt)
        fix small YP bug, and bogus initialization of gr_mem in getgrent()
                and friends. (deraadt)
        lpd shouldn't clobber the page width specified in the printcap file.
                fix from John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>. (cgd)
        pr shouldn't croak if -w specified without multi-column mode.
                fix from John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>. (cgd)
        fix two bugs in at(1)'s date/time parsing.  One of the fixes
                was from Javier Martin Rueda <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>. (cgd)
        gprof: added ns32k support files (phil)
        converted getty to use the getcap(3) routines. (cgd)
        hp300: fix standalone disk and tape drivers to allow
                units > 0. (brezak)
        make FFS optional. (ws)
        integrated diff, diff3, & sdiff manpages by Larry Jones
                <scjones@thor.sdrc.com>. (jtc)
        gcc2: added arch/ns32k directory with files (phil)

Notes:

1. The Fast File System has been made optional. Thus you need to include
an "options FFS" in your kernel config file.

2.  The wd driver is still being worked upon, it's now up to 1.71
(this was on Saturday evening).  You need the new version of config
for this to work.  So what I did (as always) to update was to remake:

        include
        lib
        bin
        libexec
        sbin
        usr.bin
        usr.sbin
        share
        games
        gnu

in that order by:

        cd /usr/src/<whatever> ; make && make install

Then:

        cd /sys/arch/i386/conf
        <edited kernel config file for PUMPY - remember that "options FFS">
        config PUMPY
        cd ../compile/PUMPY
        make clean
        make depend
        <sigh. edit ../../i386/conf.c to comment out #include "dcfclk.h">
        make clean
        make depend
        make

(I know, preaching to the converted, but I still see questions about this
all the time).

When I rebooted, it was fairly obvious that some new autoconfig magic
was going on - the wd driver comes first, and reports times for
busy-waiting.  The com devices now announce themselves as well, as
does a non-existent ie0 board.

3.  The eagle-eyed amongst you will note that agate has gone away in
its capacity as a mirror for sun-lamp.  (I assume that this is in no
way related to the current attempts by USL to stop BNR2's propagation).
In sun-lamp's ftp login banner, you are advised to try the mirror at
ftp.iastate.edu, but I couldn't find the tar_files anywhere there.

4. The sendmail in -current is at 8.6.5, I think. This is quoted from
the freebsd-hacker's list, without permission (I think it originates
from Eric Allman)