Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on wd1
To: None <BENE%DRAGON@orion.cpqd.ansp.br>
From: Douglas K. Rand <rand@Aero.UND.NoDak.Edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1994 18:25:42
** BENE  <BENE%DRAGON@orion.cpqd.ansp.br> on 14 Mar 1994 12:36:25 +0000 (C)
** in [Installing NetBSD on wd1] writes:

Benedito> I am trying to install NetBSD 0.9 in my second IDE drive
Benedito> What is the problem if I change "wd0" to "wd1" in the
Benedito> install procedure?  Is there any other way to do this ?

I've done this at least half a dozen times now (on the same machine
even ;-) and there have been two ways I've done it. One is to
physically swap the two drives around with the jumpers on the disks.
Then you install just like normal and swap the disks back when you are
done with the install.  (Or you can configure a single drive system
and install it there.) The only trick is to get everything right
before swapping the drives back.  (I've gotten away with only changing
/etc/fstab, but I'd probably suggest building a new kernel.)

I've also installed twice with replacing the two (!) wd0 entries in
the install script with wd1. The first time something (I don't know
what) walked over a good chunk of wd0 which was DOS. (Probably a
feature!) The second time everything worked just fine. In fact, I'm
still running with the distributed kernel.

Either way, you will need booteasy (or something like it) to allow you
to boot off wd1.

Hope this helps.

--
Douglas.K.Rand@Aero.UND.NoDak.Edu      Scientific Computing Center
System/Network Administrator           UND Aerospace