Subject: Re: Problem with the 3/7 sources.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Robert Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/1994 09:15:17
> carrier detect was enabled by default on the modem ports.
> This makes things link incoming gettys behave normally.
>
> if you want to use them and there's no carrier apparent, you
> have to get them 'stty clocal'd until there is a carrier.
>
> An example of how to do that is:
> 	sleep 1000 < /dev/tty00 &
> 	stty -f /dev/tty00 clocal
> 	tip foo				# foo uses /dev/tty00
> when there's carrier:
> 	~<control-z>
> 	stty -f /dev/tty00 -clocal
> 	kill the sleep

That's' tacky... Hopefully there will be another solution for this in the
future.  This behavior breaks several of our programs (voice mail, beeper,
etc).  Although, having the appropriate behavior of getty is nice, we come
in thru a terminal server which works properly, hence it is no benefit to
us.