Subject: Re: gets()
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1994 13:24:32
You write:

#    warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
#    [...]
#    Can you remove this from the disted source?
#
# No.  gets() is an inherently broken function, and should never be used.
# This message is part of a grass-roots effort to get people to stop
# using it.

Yeah!  Finally someone who does something about outdated software.  There
is something to be said for "backwards compatibility".  However, I am a
firm believer that *broken* things should be outdated, and removed.  If
nothing else, just to remove name-space clutter...

I figure, if you make *outdated, broken* things a real pain to use, people
will eventually convert, or switch.  (Look at solaris... ;-) )

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner  |    PGP2.x Public Key available at       |
|   (204)725-3342     |  'finger weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA'   |
| %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, the operating system has been overthrown |