Subject: UH-OH! nfs bug? ufs bug?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1994 05:04:10
Look at the following session script...

Notes:

- cwd was ufs, ~tsarna is on NFS to a sun3 running 4.1
- NetBSD/amiga on an A3000T, from this weekend's tar_files
  (posted this to "amiga" and "current-users"... probably should
  continue discussion in current-users unless this is found to be
  a amiga-specific problem).
- system fsck'd clean at boot.

Script started on Wed Mar  9 20:23:05 1994
bash# rm autoconfig.tab
bash# head ~tsarna/autoconfig.tab
#
# Autoconfig ID number master table
#
# $Id$
#
1/M/M           Built-in
D/1/M/M         BUILTIN
1/1/0           A3000 Built-in SCSI Interface
D/1/1/0         SCSI
1/2/0           Built-in Floppy Interface
bash# cp ~tsarna/autoconfig.tab .
bash# head autoconfig.tab
        #
# Autoconfig ID number master table
#
# $Id$
#
1/M/M           Built-in
D/1/M/M         BUILTIN
1/1/0           A3000 Built-in SCSI Interface
D/1/1/0         SCSI
1/2/0           Built-in Floppy Interface
bash#
Script done on Wed Mar  9 20:23:43 1994

Say *WHAT*? I remove the file, copy a new one over, and end up with the
old one back (with the initial extra tab plus other typos). I repeated
this several times to make sure I was really seeing straight.

Just tried something new. Copied /etc/group on top of the file. Looked
at file. It was /etc/group. look at ~tsarna/autoconfig.tab. It's the new
version. Copy ~tsarna/autoconfig.tab over file. Look at file. It's the
old version for a few lines, then is corrupt (looks like a directory).
I just rebooted, and it once again fscks cleanly.

Yow, this is *really scarry*. Any ideas? Sounds like some sort of
problem in the buffer cache or something.

--
Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked
tsarna@endicor.com        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."