Subject: PowerPC plans
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Drew Hess <dhess@CS.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1994 15:34:03
Is anyone looking into a PowerPC port of NetBSD?  Some issues:

	a. gcc would have to be upgraded to 2.5.x to get the PPC backend
	   (or could the backend be migrated to 2.4.x?  I don't know enough
	   about gcc to say....)

	b. it would be nice to port to PReP, but since it's not clear when
	   such machines will actually ship (if ever), I guess the initial
	   target would be the PowerMacs.  What portion of the MacBSD port
	   could be used towards this?  That is, to what extent is the
	   MacBSD port tied into the 68k?

	c. a PPC port could be leveraged onto a POWER/rs6k port; if ever
	   there was a nice hardware platform in need of a decent OS....

I would be interested in helping on this port, assuming I could get my hands
on a machine.

-dwh-
dhess@cs.stanford.edu