Subject: Re: One KUDOS, one bug...
To: None <jfw@ksr.com, spm@staff.cc.purdue.edu>
From: Arne H Juul <arnej@dsl.unit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1994 18:43:30
 > To: spm@staff.cc.purdue.edu (Sean McDermott)
 > Cc: thorpej@cs.orst.edu (Jason R. Thorpe),
 >         current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
 > Subject: Re: One KUDOS, one bug...
 > Date: Tue, 08 Mar 94 10:28:49 EST
 > From: "John F. Woods" <jfw@ksr.com>
 >
 > > > Ok...now the bug...I was a happy tcsh user until I upgraded today (supped
 > > > yesterday afternoon, built all night)...I open up a telnet window on my
 > > > xterm, and log in...and do 'ls' and it looks like:
 > > > yuri (thorpej) ~ 12% ls
 > > > total 74
 > > >          2 Mailers/      2 amdstuff/     2 mail/         2 samples/
 > > > Also...stty intr ^C susp ^Z  no longer works...BTW...This stuff all works

I have non-deterministically seen this problem. Never had any problems
with ^C and ^Z though (bash is my usual shell, but I've tried tcsh also).

 > > > on the console...and it's OK if I rlogin or rsh...So, my guess is that
 > > > libtelnet and/or telnetd is hosed.  Anybody?

It's pretty definitely tied up with telnetd and/or your client telnet
program. (Where do you telnet from?)

 > ls isn't at fault; somehow the tty modes are either fouled up or being
 > misinterpreted.  I've noticed that the interrupt character hasn't worked
 > for telnet for some time (mid-February sources, I forget when), though the
 > suspend character does work (and telnet SEND IP also works, so it isn't
 > signal handling).

I've never had the interrupt character problem, but the problems
are almost certainly tied up with telnet's LINEMODE options. Try
compiling telnetd without -DKLUDGELINEMODE (first), then without
-DLINEMODE.  Also if the client telnet doesn't support LINEMODE at
all, the problem may not arise, or if the client has proper support
for LINEMODE, it may work better. (I've seen the same type of
problems when telnetting to the Cray, where there's even a stty
-extproc to turn things off). Another related problem is that ~h
doesn't work right in mail - something that bothered me a lot
because it seemed to work half the time (when run 'directly' in an
xterm, as I understand now).

Yours,
  - Arne H. Juul