Subject: Re: Snapshot Report - 26 Feb tar_files [groff reboots]
To: Tim Chase <tim@introl.introl.com>
From: Kim Andersen <kim@dde.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1994 17:42:58

> Anybody else seeing this?  Is it really related to the memory usage
> pattern of groff?

I've been doing at least one daily build of the system for the last 14 days,
using this command:
make -k build >build.out 2>&1

No reboots, and only minor errors in the output. I recompile the kernel
regularly as well.
I don't (unfortunately) have a network, if this should have any influence
on the stability. The system is equipped with 486/33-8Mb mem-16Mb swap and
~ 2Gb SCSI disk and tape+video streamer.

Occasionally I try to stress the system doing eg. 10 parallel compiles or
40 parallel finds (10 finds on 4 different partitions on 3 disks).

Apart from swapping like hell (swapinfo says 88 blocks left) and
a response time to be measured with a calender, the system just keeps
on running.

Actually, I can't remember when I had the last crash/hang.

All in all Chris, Theo, Charles and numerous others have done a wonderfull
job !!! Thanks.

regards
kim