Subject: ASUS [45]86 motherboard and NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Ben Madison <exujbm@exu.ericsson.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1994 16:03:10
OK, here's another motherboard question...

There's a shop selling an ASUS 486/586 motherboard that I'm interested in.
It's a VLB motherboard (2 VLB slots) with Award BIOS, SIS (?) chipset, up
to 1Mb cache and 72-pin SIMM sockets.  Apparently it'll take all manner of
486 chips.  I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this one...?

If you couldn't tell from my recent questions, I'm planning on buying a new
machine in the not-too-distant future.  I'm interested in a 486DX-class
machine.  Does there seem to be any net consensus on what's a particularly
good (read "compatible") machine to get?  Or what's a particularly bad
machine to avoid?  I'd welcome any and all input.  Also, if you can compare
performance of ISA vs. VLB on video and disk performance, I'd be glad for
that, too.

I'll even post a summary ;)

--
Ben Madison                                     Ericsson Network Systems
exujbm@exu.ericsson.se                            Richardson, Texas, USA

Have you signed the Clipper petition yet?  Email cpsr@cpsr.org for info.