Subject: Re: 3com 3c505 driver?
To: None <bdc@ai.mit.edu, current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Theo Deraadt <deraadt@fsa.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1994 02:39:18
> i was just wondering if anyone out there in -current land has looked at
> doing a 3c505 driver.

This is a simple sequence of steps you can follow to get a new
ethernet driver into NetBSD/i386:

    1) Find a spare card.
    2) Find the documentation.
    3) Write the driver.
    4) Send finished driver to Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca> who
       will commit it to the tree.

If you have problems with step 2, Herb is quite useful at finding
documentation, or wrestling it out of the companies. There's also DOS
and Linux device drivers which may help with the details. Also, a
plethora of sample ethernet drivers scattered through /sys/arch should
show you how to interface it to the kernel.

I'm pretty sure that Herb has 3c505 documentation. I'm also pretty
sure that he doesn't have the time to write a driver for it.

Good luck. :-)